It is our deep desire to provide a safe and loving learning environment for our students. In an effort to do this, both of our campuses remain locked during the school day. In addition to our buildings remaining locked, security cameras are also installed to ensure that our students and staff are safe during the school day, even when they are outside for class or recess.
Schools are required to complete the following safety drills each year:
- Conduct five fire safety drills spaced throughout a school year, with three before Dec. 1. There must be a “reasonable” interval between each drill.
- Hold two tornado safety drills, including one in March.
- Stage three “lockdown” drills, which prepare for possible school intruders.
- One of the three drills must be conducted during a lunch-recess period.
- One of the three drills must be conducted before December 1st.
- One of the three drills must be conducted after January 1st.
Public Act 12 of 2014, took effect July 1, 2014, and updates the types of drills schools must conduct and requires school districts to post documentation of completed safety drills on their websites within 5 days of completion. These reports should remain online for at least three years.