Legacy Christian is an inclusive school that celebrates children’s individual differences, and sends the message that everyone has value. We provide educational programming for all students, including those of different ethnic and economic backgrounds, and of varying ability levels. We recognize that children with varying needs are made in God’s image. This reflects our philosophy that special education is a service, not a place; it is people and plans, not just a program.
I Corinthians 12:27 – “All of you together are Christ’s body, and each of you is a part of it.”
Tutoring is available to all students at Legacy Christian, after school Monday-Thursday, from 3:00-4:00pm. South Christian High School students are interviewed and screened by the SCHS guidance office to ensure academic competency and good moral character. Tutors are paid directly by parents. Tutoring takes place at both LCS buildings.
Literacy coaching provides job-embedded, ongoing professional development with a primary goal of enhancing classroom literacy instruction through improving teacher expertise. Coaching is an important method for improving literacy instruction and achievement.
Some students find it hard to read and write for many different reasons. By giving these students assistance while they are in the first grade, Reading Recovery helps them become successful readers and writers within a short period of time. Reading Recovery is an individual program where student and the Reading Recovery teacher work together for half an hour every day, providing extra support to the regular classroom literacy program.
- A mental health consultant is available ½ day per week – Wednesday mornings. Dr. Pam White comes to us from Pine Rest, and offers both group and individual support.
- Adoption and Divorce Support Groups are offered for students in grades 3-8.
- GROUP (God Rejoices Over Unique People) is introduced in 5th grade and students work on team building to help them understand their worth as unique individuals created by God. Topics include: communication, friends, and how to interact with peers in a Christ-like manner.
- 4th grade girls and boys groups discuss friendships, excluding and including others.
- Individual consultation is available to all students, their parents, teachers and staff at both campuses. Service includes support, education, screening and referral. Referrals can be made through the teachers or administrator, and can be given to Dr. White. Parents will be contacted for permission prior to their child being seen.
Legacy Christian, in partnership with All Belong Center for Inclusive Education, provides special education support for all students who have identified disabilities. There are two special education classrooms at Legacy Christian; the Exploration Station at the East Campus, servicing K-4th grade, and the Student Union at the West Campus, servicing 5th-8th grade. The program is staffed with two part-time special education teachers. Jane Adams specializes in working with children with moderate to severe impairments, and also coordinates services at the West Campus. Lisa Boone specializes in working with students who have learning disabilities and attention deficit disorders, and coordinates services at the Elementary Campus. Legacy Christian is also blessed to have the support of several outstanding para educators in both buildings.
Legacy offers Speech and Language, Occupational and Physical Therapy through Kentwood Public Schools and the Kent Intermediate School District. Referrals should be made directly to the therapists through teachers or parents.